Hub of Inspiration, Haven of Motivation, Home of Spiritual Enlightenment and Helpmate For Information

ads header
  • Trending

    Saturday 30 May 2020

    Dear Father (Episode Nine)




     The  long  awaited  Wednesday  came  and  I  headed  for  the  church premises;  it  was  4.00pm.  As usual my parents were not in  town again, I had stopped worrying  myself  about  them  since  I  have  found  both  a  mother  and  a  father  in  aunty Shade.  Immediately  after  lunch,  I  quickly  dressed  up  in  a  red  flowery  dress  and  told aunty  shade  I  was  headed  for  the  church  for  rehearsals,  she  suspected  nothing  and so  I  ran  out  of  the  house  before  she  would  call me  back. I  got  to  church  quite  on  time,  my  church  boyfriend  was  not  yet  there  and  so  I  sat my  church  boyfriend. you  think”? on  the  seat  of  the  pianist  and  was  trying  my  fingers  on  the  keys.  I  didn’t  know  if  I played  right  or  wrong  but  after  a  while,  I  heard  claps  behind  me  I  turned  and  it  was “Never  knew  you  could  play  the piano this  much” “Really,  I  didn’t  know  I  played  right,  maybe  it’s  a  gift  of  the  holy-spirit  or  what  do “Hahahahahahahaha,  don’t  be  a  naughty  girl,  playing  piano  is  not  a  gift  of  the  holyspirit  per-se  but  it  can  be  a  talent  given  to  you  by  God  for  the  advancement  of  his kingdom  here  on  earth” Uncle  Seun  convinced  me  that  I  had  the  musical  talent  and  he  promised  to  help  me cultivate  it.  By  the  time  we  had  finished our  discussion,  a  quite  number  of  choristers were  present  already  and  so  we  kicked  off  rehearsals.  A  voice  test  was  conducted for  all  those  who  were  just  joining  the  choir  for  the  first  time.  Of  the  five  of  us,  it was  Ajoke  and  I  that  were  soprano  singers.  Ajoke  is  very  beautiful  and  she’s  my mate  too  though  she’s  still in  Jss1  while  I  was  already  in Jss2, and  unlike other  kids in  church  she  was  as  fluent  in  English  as she  was  in  Yoruba.  And  this made  us bond the  more. Throughout  the  rehearsals  I  tried  stealing  glances  at  uncle  Seun  but  he  wouldn’t even  look  at  me  one  bit.  “Maybe  he  doesn’t  want  the  other  choristers  to  see  us together”  or  so  I  thought.  I  stopped  trying  to  get  noticed  and  sang  as  my  strength could  carry  me,  in  no  distant  time  he  dismissed  us  and  we  prepared  for  midweek service.  I  sat  with  Ajoke  during  the  midweek  service  and  I  just  observed  her  with utmost  seriousness.  Her  parents  are  not  members  of  our  church  but  there  was  this zeal  I  noticed  in Ajoke  that I  wished  to  possess, the  way  she  prays  and  even  listens to  the  sermon  with  rapt  attention  made  me  love  her  the  more.  I  was  lost  in observing  my  new  friend  that  I  didn’t  even  know  when  the  service  came  to  an  end, I  was  distracted  by  Casimir  and  Sarah  who  came  looking  for me. I  bid  Ajoke  goodnight  and  took  my  siblings in  search  of  aunty  Shade  but before  we  could  move  three  steps  away  from  our  seat,  I  felt  a  hand  drag  Casimir behind  me,  I  turned  and  it  was  uncle  Seun.  I  gave  him  a  stern  look  for  pretending not  to  ever  know  me  especially  when  we  are  in  public.  He  carried  Casimir  and  off we  went  home  together  with  Aunty  Shade.  We  bade him  goodnight  as  soon  as  we got  home  and  he  told  me  to  bring  Casimir  when  next  I  would  be  coming  for  choir rehearsals,  I  agreed. Our parents  didn’t  return  till  we  slept  off.  We  continued  our  routines as  usual  with aunty  Shade  who has  been  everything  beginning  from  a  nanny,  a  father,  a  mother, a  preacher  and  a  prayer  partner  to us.   “Aunty  Shade  when  will you  get  married” “Urghmmmmmm, very soon  my  dear  Sarah,  at  the  lord’s appointed  time” “Please  don’t  be  like  my  mum  and  dad  who  never  stays  at  home,  I  would  like  to  be spending  my  holidays  in  your  home” “Don’t  worry  Sarah,  you  will be  fine. I  will be  here  for you  always” I  looked  at  aunty  shade  and  she  noticed  I  was  crying,  she  drew  me  close  and  asked what  the  problem  was,  I  told  her  my  parents  are  SILENT,  ABSENT  and  MISSING  in our  lives and  its really  telling  on  us……… “Aunty  Shade  isn’t  it  better  that  we  are  orphans  other  than  having  parents  and  not getting  to see  them  at  all?  I  don’t  know  when  last  I  had  a  heart-to-heart  discussion with  my  father  then  not  to  talk  of  my  mother.  I  don’t  even  know  the  last  time  we got  to  eat  on  the dining  table  together  as  one blessed  family.  Throughout  my  Jss1, they  never  visited  me  for  once,  neither  do  they know  the  name of my form teacher. Since  I  came  back  home,  I’ve  only  seen  them  for  5  minutes.  My  mum  do  not  even know  that  I’ve  started  menstruating.   Aunty  shade  I  will  never  get  married.  I  will  live  my  life  as  a  single  lady  and  serve  the lord  with  my  strength  instead  of  getting  married  and  becoming  an  absentee mother.  I  am  a  victim  of  neglect,  I  can’t  afford  to raise  other victims of  neglect…. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Tech

    Art