Hub of Inspiration, Haven of Motivation, Home of Spiritual Enlightenment and Helpmate For Information

ads header
  • Trending

    Wednesday 27 May 2020

    Dear Father (Episode three)



    Casimir,  Sarah  and  I  said  nothing  to  each  other  as  our  driver  drove  us home  and  we  knew  better  than  asking  him  about  our  parents.  In  no  distant  time we  drove  through  our  gate,  each  one of  us  rushed  to  the door  and  was  greeted  by mum.  Her  countenance hasn’t  changed  but  I  noticed  something;  our  belongings were  being  parked  into  travelling  bags  as  though  we  were  parking  out  of  our  home. All  efforts  to  get  mum  talk  to  us  proved  abortive  as  she  promised  us  a  bright  future. “Mum,  don’t  you  think  you  owe  us some  explanations” to lead  you  by  the  hand” “No  Casimir,  what  dad  and  I  are  going  through  is too  big for your consumption” “We love  you  and  we  want the  best for  you  and  your  siblings,  just  trust  us  enough All  that  didn’t  go  down  well  with  me.  Yes,  we  were  very  little  but  not  so  little  to understand  what  mum  was  going  through.  Even  if  she  didn’t  want  to  involve  all three  of  us,  I  was  the  eldest  and  her  favorite  too,  I  should  be  carried  along  or  so  I thought. Mum served us lunch  as usual  and  we  all retired  to our separate  rooms.   Days  turned  into  weeks  and  our  belongings  were  still  being  parked  and  neither mum nor dad told  us  if  we  were  either  relocating  or  actually  leaving  the  country.  I made  up  my  mind  not  to  talk  to  mum  anymore  since  she  didn’t  want  to  relate  the problem to  us.  We lived in the same house but we had become far apart. What held us  together  was  just  our  morning  and  night  devotions.  Casimir  and  Sarah  on  the other  hand  began  acting  strange.  I  noticed  they  stopped  greeting  our  parents  and little  Sarah  stopped  talking  to mum  too,  her  excuse  was; “If  she  doesn’t  talk  to  me,  why  should  I  talk  to her”? I  scolded  her  to  stop  such  attitude  as  I  didn’t  want  her  to  grow  with  it. Our  parents  brought  us  up  in  the  way  of  the  lord  and  so  keeping  malice  was  not even  an  option. Dad came  home in  no  distant  time  still  weary  and  moody,  I  gave  a  stern  look  to  my siblings  and  that  prompted  them  to  greet  him,  he  came  home  together  with  our family friend;  Uncle  Samson. Uncle  Samson  has  been  a  good  friend  to  mum  and  dad  ever  since  I  got  to  know what  was  good  and  bad,  but  just  as  I  predicted;  my  siblings  and  I  were  sent  to  our rooms to  enable mum and dad have a heart-to-heart discussion with Uncle Samson. We  grumbled  our  way  up  the  stairs  and  neither  of  us  ever  thought  of  eaves dropping  for the  fear of  being  flogged  by  father.   Few hours  later,  I  heard  mum  call  out  to  me  and  I  ran  as  fast  as my  legs  could  carry me down the stairs and there was Uncle Sam offering me a brown envelope. I didn’t need  a  soothsayer  to  tell  me  there  was  money  in  there.  But  why  should  Uncle  Sam give  me  such  money?  Or  have  my  parents  lost  their  jobs?  Even  if  they  did,  I shouldn’t  be  the  one  receiving  the  money  when  mum  was  present!  I  maintained my  cool  and  gave a  corner  eye-look to  my  mum  and  from  the look in  her  eyes,  she encouraged  me  to  receive  it.  I  thanked  Uncle  Sam  as  I  have  been  thought  and  we bade  him  farewell. The  next  day  was  Sunday,  the  most  important  day  in  the  home  of  the  Aderopo’s. Every  one  of  us  looked  forward  to  Sunday  as  it  was  either  Dad  was  ministering  or mum  was  leading  the  choristers  in  the  day’s  special  anthem  or  even  both!.  My siblings  and  I  looked  forward  to  Sunday  as  it  made  us  the  most  envied  kids  at  our local  church.  Not  every  child  lived  with  both  parents  and  even  the  ones  that  do, don’t  have  them  function  in  the  lord’s  vineyard.  Owing  to  mum  and  Dad’s engagements  in  the  church,  they  encouraged  us  to  live  exemplary  lives  both  at church and  in  all  places. But  this  Sunday  seemed  so  different  in  the  sense  that  mum  asked  me  to  share  the money  Uncle  Sam  had  given  us  into  three  equal  parts,  when  I  did  that,  she  asked me  to get  a  one  –tenth  of  everyone  and  replace  it  in three  different  envelopes.   Sarah,  Casimir  and  I  were  going  to  pay  our  tithe  for  the  first  time  today.  Mum  and Dad explained to  us  the  biblical  principles  of  giving  to  God  what  he  gave  to  us  saying that  all good  and  perfect  gift comes from  God. Dad  and  Mum  wore  a  matching  traditional  outfit,  while  Sarah  and  I  wore  a  mint green  floral  dress  with  a  peach  shoe  to  match.  Casimir  on  the  other  hand  wore  a mint  green  cashmere  material  and  a  pair  of  pastoral  black  shoes  to  match.  As  we approached  the  church  premises,  all eyes  were  on  us and  I  muttered  to myself; “If  only  these  people  knew  that  our  parents  were  having  a  hard  time  and  they weren’t  communicating  to nobody,  they  wouldn’t  wish  to be  like  us one  bit”! Good  morning  sir,  how are  you  today”? 

    By  his special grace,  I’m  bouncing  in  the  lord” “You  ain’t  looking  bad  sir” “Thank  you  sister Titi  God  bless you” Sister  Titi  had  a  habit  of  greeting  and  complimenting  my  Dad  whenever  she  sees him and she left my siblings  especially  me  with  no  option  other  than  she  was  lusting after  our  father.  I  mean  why  doesn’t  she  greet  and  compliment  mum  or  any  of  the children?  Why  must  it  be  only  daddy??  The  funniest  thing  was  that  mum  saw nothing  wrong  in  her  behavior! I  eyed  sister  Titi  and  walked  past  her  to  the  church  auditorium,  I  had  enough problems  to  deal  with  it  at  home  and  sister  Titi  was  not  even  near  the  least important.  All  through  the  service,  I  sat  still  and  quiet  as  I  watched  my  own  father announced: preach  today’s  sermon.  There’s  this  feeling  of satisfaction  I  always  get  when  daddy is  on  pulpit.  The  awaited  time  for  tithe  offering  came  through  and  the  moderator “If you  have  your  tithe,  please  step  forward” It  was  not  the  first  Sunday  of  the  month  and  so  not  many  people  came  out  to  offer their  tithes  to  God.  Just  when  he  was  about  to  take  away  the  box,  there  came  my siblings and  I  in  a  glorious apparel  walking  forward  to the  altar  to offer our  tithes.  I could  imagine  the  reaction  of  members  of  the  congregation  as  we  walked graciously to  the  altar….. 


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Tech

    Art