Hub of Inspiration, Haven of Motivation, Home of Spiritual Enlightenment and Helpmate For Information

ads header
  • Trending

    Sunday 24 May 2020

    Dear Father (Episode Two)





    When I perceived  I  had  prayed  enough,  I  wiped  my  eyes with  the  hem  of  my night  gown  and  climbed  upstairs  to  join  my  siblings.  But  sleep  was  very  far  from me,  I  just  sat  still  and  watched  my  siblings  while  they  slept.    I  sat  on  my  reading chair,  with  my  jaw buried  in  my  hands. Few minutes  later,  I  heard  sounds  from  mum  and  dad’s  room.  Their  voices  were  so low  that  I  barely  heard  what  they  said  but  I  noticed  mum  was  weeping uncontrollably,  amidst  her  sobs  all  I  managed  to  hear  was  “FATHER,  WHY?”  Her biological  father  was  long  dead  and  so  it  dawned  on  me  that  she  was  referring  to God. I wonder what God  had done to  my  parents  that  he  made  them  weep this  way and even mum questioned him. I opened the door of my room and tip-toed through the  stairs  to  my  parents’  room,  I  eavesdropped  and  my  dad  was  just  screaming “HEY,  JESUS”.  This  made  me  confused  the  more,  while  mum  questioned  him,  dad called  out  to  him  as  if  he  was  physically  present  with  them.  I  walked  back  upstairs to join  my  siblings in  my  room. I  forced  myself  to  sleep  because  we  would  be  going  to  school  the  next  day  and  I couldn’t  afford  to sleep  in class.   
    “Zina,  wake  up  it’s time  for devotion” 
    I  recognized  that  voice,  it  was  mum’s.  Though  it  was  so  faint  but  I’ve  gotten  used to her  that  I  could  hear  the  meditations  of  her  heart  even  while  she  was  mute.  We had  this  connection  together,  reason  being  that  I’m  the  eldest  child.  She’s  always told  us  that  she  had  no  favorite  amongst  the  three  of  us,  but  my  siblings  have always doubted  her  because  of  how  dear  she  treats  me. I  quickly  woke  Casimir  and  Sarah  and  we  headed  for  the  sitting  room.  Mum’s  eyes were  swollen,  dad’s  eyes  were  red  as  though  he  was  bleeding  through  his  eyes.  My siblings  and  I  assembled  and  sat  still,  they  owed  us  explanations.  But  instead  we just  conducted  our  morning  devotion  and  everybody  got  prepared  for  school  and work  respectively.  I  opened  my mouth to speak after devotion,  but  found  no  words. Why  have  they  chosen  to  keep  us  in  the  dark?  Don’t  they  both  owe  us  explanations owing  to  their  behaviors  the previous  day?  I  asked  no  one in  particular  as  I  bathed Sarah.   our  various classes. My  siblings  and  I  dressed  up  for  school  in  silence,  we  headed  for  the  dining  room, had  our  breakfast  and  Dad  drove  us  to  school  in  silence.  I  told  my  siblings  not  to look  like  what  they  went  through  the  previous  night  so  as  not  to  allow  questions from  our  different  teachers.  They  promised  to  behave  themselves  and  we  left  for As I sat  in  class,  the  event  of  the  previous  day  came  flashing  in  my  head.  From  dad’s arrival  to  mum’s  arrival,  then  to  their  deep  groaning’s  at  mid-night,  and  then  their feigning  ignorance  during  devotion  and  their  utmost  silence  during  breakfast.  I begged  God  not  to  allow  my  parents  separate.  I’ve  heard  and  seen  children  living with  either  of  their  parents  and  I  knew  how  tough  it  was  for  them.  I  couldn’t imagine  living  with  my  dad  without  my  mum  or  living  with  mum  while  dad  was away  forever.  I  begged  God  to  keep  them  together  as  I  was  still  tender  to experience  separation  of  any  kind.  I  was  just  10  and  in  my  last  class  in  primary school. While  in  class  I  was  absent  minded all  through,  I  stared  at  Aunty  Theresa  but  I  heard nothing  though  her  lips  were  moving.  Aunty  Theresa  happened  to  be  my  form teacher  and  my  social  studies  teacher.  On  this  very  day,  she  had  dressed  like  my mum and the sight  of  her  made  my  mind  travel  far  and  wide.  I  imagined  it  was  my mum  who  was  taking  us  on  social  studies,  but  when  I  remembered  that  Aunty Theresa  had  once  mentioned  to  another  teacher  that  she  was  separated  from  her husband,  I  began  to  bind  and  cast  every  spirit  of  separation.  By  the  time  I  had stopped  imagining,  Aunty  Theresa  had  cleaned  the  white  board  three  times  and  I had  nothing  on  my  note! “THE  FAMILY”  was the  day’s  topic! In  no  distant  time,  we  went  on  break  but  I just  sat  on  my  chair  and  had  lunch. My  class-captain,  Francis  walked  up  to  me  to  ask  what  the  problem  was  but  I  had to  lie  as  mum  had  warned  us  not  to  take  our  family’s  dispute  outside  the  walls  of our  sitting  room.  I  told  him  I  was  pretty  much  fine  and  forced  a  fake  smile.  I  asked him  for his social studies  note  so  as to enable  me  update  mine. All  through  the  day,  I  kept  to  myself  and  waited  earnestly  for  school  to  dismiss.  In no  distant  time,  dismissal  bell  was  rung.  I  hurriedly  packed  my  books  into  my  bag and  headed  for  Casimir’s  and  Sarah’s  class.  The  three  of  us  headed  for  the  school’s gate  and  for once  in a long  time,  we  were  taken  home  by  our  driver. My  countenance  fell again!   


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Tech

    Art