Hub of Inspiration, Haven of Motivation, Home of Spiritual Enlightenment and Helpmate For Information

ads header
  • Trending

    Sunday 24 May 2020

    Dear Father (Episode one)


    It  was  5.30pm  on  a  Wednesday  evening,  dad  drove  in  through  the  gate looking  all  worked  up  and  moody.  Mum  wasn’t  home  yet  from work  and  so  dad just  walked  past  Sarah, Casimir  and  I  into  his  room.  I  made  way  to  the  kitchen  and in  less  than  twenty  minutes,  his  supper  was  ready.  All  efforts  to  get  him  take  dinner proved  futile  as he  never said  a  word  to all  three  of  us. The  look on  the  faces of  my  siblings was  not encouraging  at  all,  at  some  point  they cried,  and  at  the  other  point  they  tried  calling  mum  whose  number  became day. switched  off  after  several  attempts  to  reach  her.  I  decided  to  send  Casimir  to  dad’s room  to  see  if  dad  would  talk  to  him  being  that  he’s  the  man  of  the  house.  But  in less  than  ten  minutes,  Casimir  came  back  to  the  sitting  room  saying  dad  wants  to be  left  alone.  This  unusual  behavior  really  appeared  strange  to  us  owing  to  the  fact that  our  parents  always  looked  forward  to  being  with  us  after  close  of  work  each We  were  a  happy  family  even  our  neighbors’  complemented  mum  and  dad  on  a daily  basis,  in  church  we  were  the  perfect  family  ,  in  our  school  my  siblings  and  I were  always  addressed  as  lucky  children  as  mum  and  dad  were  always  the  COUPLE OF  THE  DAY for  every  end of  term activity  and end of  years’ party.  And so this recent silence  by  dad  was  really  telling  hard  on  us.  At  this  point  in  time,  Sarah  and  Casimir were  already  in  tears  I  tried  so  hard  to  pet  them  but  for  every  five  minutes  I  pet them, I  cried  for the next ten  minutes.   It  wasn’t  long  before  we  heard  the  honk  of  mum’s  car  and  all  three  of  us  rushed out  to  the  gate  but  we  received  the  shock  of  our  lives  when  mum  reacted  the  same way  as  her  husband.  She  said  nothing  to  us  as  she  walked  straight  to  her  bedroom. She  didn’t  even  carry Sarah  who happens to be  the  youngest  of  us. At  this  point  Sarah  and  Casimir  increased  the  frequency  of  their  weeping,  I  used  my hands  to  cover  their  mouths  so  as  not  to  invite  our  neighbors  into  our  home.  I  led them  into  their  separate  rooms  but  none  could  sleep.  And  so  I  took  them  to  my room  and  I  put  them  to bed. While  they slept,  I  walked  straight  to  the  kitchen  to  tidy  up.  As  I  cleared  the  plates and  placed  a  call to my  maternal  grandmother. “Hello  granny,  how  do you  do” “I’m  pretty  well my  dear” my  siblings  used  in  eating,  my  mind  travelled  far  and  wide.  I  picked  up  my  phone “Hope  your  parents  and  my  babies  are  fine” “Yes grandma,  everyone  is fine.” I  quickly  hung  up  on  grandma.  I  wasn’t  actually  missing  her  but  I  wanted  to  know  if she  was  alive,  probably  her  death  was  the  reason  why  my  parents  were  all  moody and  with  teary eyes. After  hearing  grandma’s  voice,  I  concluded  that  my  parents’  current  state  had nothing  to  do  with  our  extended  family.  My  paternal  grandparents  were  long  dead and  my  maternal  grand  mum  just  spoke  to  me  a  while  ago.  So  what  then  could  be the  reason  for their  teary eyes  and  silence? I  walked  to  sitting  room  and  switched  on  the  television.  I  tuned  to  a  Nigerian station,  waiting  to  hear  the  crash  of  a  plane  and  probably  the  list  of  persons  who boarded the plane.  When I found none, I tuned in to CNN, but I found nothing again. Which means our  relatives  home  and  abroad were actually  safe,  so  why  the  mutual moodiness? I  switched  off the  television  and  sat  on  the  tiled  floor.  I  had  never  seen  my  parents in  this  state  and  so  I  knew  that  whatever  must  have  kept  them  like  this  must  be very  serious.  I  quickly  sat  up  and  prayed  for  my  parents,  I  was  just  ten  years  of  age. While  I  sat  on  the  floor,  I  just  muttered  somethings  to  God  and  I  knew  he understood  every bit  of  all I  said. him  to stop  my  parents  from  crying. Mum had  told  us  during  our  night  devotion  the  previous  day  that  God  loves  little children.  And  so  I  told  God  that  since  he  loves  me,  that  I  loved  him  too  but  I  needed Did  God  really  stop  my  parents  from  crying? 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Tech

    Art