Hub of Inspiration, Haven of Motivation, Home of Spiritual Enlightenment and Helpmate For Information

ads header
  • Trending

    Friday 29 May 2020

    Dear Father (Episode Eight)



     Aunty  shade  scolded  me  for  having  to  leave  my  siblings  alone  for  over an  hour,  I  apologized  to  her  and  we  headed  for  home  immediately.  I  joined  aunty shade  in  the  kitchen  but  I  was  absent  minded.  All  I  thought  of  was  uncle  Seun  and how he  dismissed  me  in  church.  I  traced  my  mind  backwards  and  I  can’t  remember ever  offending  him  the  last  time  he  was  here.  Aunty  shade  noticed  my  strange behavior  and  asked  me  what  the  problem  was,  I  lied.  I  told  her  I  was  having menstrual  cramps.   If  I  had  known  that  lying  to  aunty  shade  would  earn  me  3hours  lecture  on  sex education,  I  would  have  just  said  the  truth.  Aunty  shade  taught  me  how  to  fix  a  pad properly,  she  taught  me  about  ovulation  and  my  menstrual  cycle.  She  made mention  of  pregnancy  and sex.  She emphasized on sexual purity as  God’s  command and said  if  I  loved  God,  then  I  should  obey  his  commands.  I  listened  to  her  with  rapt attention.  I  was  beginning  to  like  her,  though  at  one  point  she  appears  strict  and  at the  other point  just  like  now  she  appears so calm  and  lovely.   Lunch  was  still  being  prepared  when  I  heard  the  honk  of  a  car  outside,  it  didn’t sound  like dad’s  car  and  so  I  wasn’t  in a  hurry  to  dash out  of  the kitchen  not  until  I saw mum come out of the other side of the car, I threw  away  the onions  I was  asked to  peel  and  skittered  away  like a  kitten.  I  fell  into  her  arms  and  hugged  her  tightly. I  noticed  I  was  weeping  for  I  haven’t  seen  her  in  three  months.  She  had  changedmuch  from  the  mummy  I  used  to  know.  She  no  longer  cared  about  her  looks, nothing  matters  to  her  anymore  apart  from  the  work  of  the  father.  She  took  turn in  carrying  my  siblings  while  I  greeted  my  father.  I  hugged  him  tightly  too  and  I noticed  I’ve  really  missed  my  dad;  my  look alike.   I  rushed  into  my  room  to  get  my  result,  and  just  before  I  could  come  out  to  the sitting  room,  mum  and dad  had driven out  again.  Aunty  shade  said  they  were  going out for  counselling.  A  family  had  called  dad, it  was  an  emergency  and  so  mum  and dad dashed out again; it  was  8.00pm.   I sat  on my bed with my eyes filled with tears, I  needed  to  talk  to  daddy,  I  needed  to  show  him  my  final  results,  I  needed  to  tell mum about Harvey  (my  oyinbo  boyfriend), I  needed to  tell  her  that her  baby  girl  is now  a  young  woman  but  she  was  nowhere  to  be  found,  she  had  gone  for counselling  when  her  daughter  needed  her  most.  I  thought  of  running  away,  but  to to pet  me  and  she  did  right  away!. where  exactly?  I  can’t  afford  to  miss  my  Harvey  and  so  running  away  was  not  an option. I  raised  my  head  up  to wipe  my  tears  with  the  hem  of  my  nightie  and  I  saw aunty  shade,  I  don’t  know  how  long  she  has  been  standing  there  but  I  wanted  her I  didn’t  have  dinner  that  night,  I  lost  appetite  and  I  spoke  to  no  one either.  My  siblings  took  turns  to  sleep  off  on  the  couch  while  they  waited  for  our parents;  it  was  9.00pm  and  our  parents  were  not  yet  home.  Aunty  shade  sat  on  the couch  reading  her  bible  while  I  walked  into  my  room.  As  I  laid  on  my  bed,  my thoughts  shifted  to  uncle  Seun,  “my  church  boyfriend”    “I  can’t  wait  for  Wednesday to  attend  my  first  choir  practice”  I  muttered  to  myself.  I  imagined  singing  soprano and  uncle  Seun  corrects  me  and  then  I  would  deliberately  make  the  mistake  again just  to  have  him  come  close  to  me.  I  imagined  beginning  piano  lessons  too  and  also having  him  as  my  teacher.”  it  really  gonna  be  a  wonderful  sight”,  I  said  to  myself  as my  thoughts  shifted  again  to  my  oyinbo  pepper;  Harvey.  I  remembered  his  hug,  his cologne  and  the  attractiveness  of  his  hair.  I  quickly  reached  out  for  my  school  bag and reached  for  the  piece  of  paper  where  he  had  written  his  phone  number  for  me.   I  didn’t  have  a  phone  and  so  there  was  no  way  to  reach  him.  I  decided  to  meet aunty  shade to  ask  for  her  phone  but  that  was  the  worst  mistake  I  ever  made.  Aunty shade  got  to  know  that  I  tried  using  her  phone  to  call  a  boy  by  that  ungodly  hour  of the  night  and  she  beat  the  hell  out  of  me.  While  I  sat  on  the  floor  weeping,  she came  close  to  me  and  made  me  sit  on  her  laps.  She  told  me  the  dangers  of  having a  boyfriend  and  gave me  reasons why  I  should  stay  away from  Harvey.   But  how do I stay  away  from  the  only  person  who  listens  to  me?  How  do  I  stay  away from  the  only  person  I  get  to  talk  to  apart  from  Mrs.  Badmus;  our  form  teacher. dad  that  night…… Aunty  shade  explained  that  it’s  better  to  be  close  to  my  form  teacher  and  tell  her whatever  it  is  I  want  to  talk  to  Harvey  about,  than  getting  so  attached  to  Harvey, that  I  would  face  the  consequences  later  in  life.  She  prayed  with  me  and  sent  me back  to my  room,  I  continued  weeping  until  I  slept  off,  I  didn’t  get  to see  mum  and dad that night .

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Fashion

    Tech

    Art